The corner of Eden Quay is the site of the old and the new Liberty Hall. The old Hall was a two-storey building that became the headquarters of the Irish Transport and General Workers’ Union in 1912 and the Irish Citizen Army in 1913.
The ITGWU posed a big problem for Irish industry at the time. Workers came here to organize against the exploitation and tyranny of their employers.
Liberty Hall was badly damaged during the Rising and the workers had to rebuild and start again.The building was eventually declared unsafe and the current Liberty Hall was built on the old site in the 1960s.
Words and photo by Frances Parnell