Patrick Pearse, the second child of Margaret (née Brady) and James Pearse, was born at 27 Great Brunswick Street in 1879. His father conducted his business as an “ecclesiastical and architectural sculptor” from the premises. After the death of his father in 1900, Patrick and his brother Willie (b. 1881) took over the business which continued as Pearse & Sons until 1910. At this time Patrick was using the title Patrick H. Pearse, Sculptor. The business folded in 1910 due to Patrick’s workload with Conradh na Gaeilge (the Gaelic League) and St Enda’s, Willie’s studies at the Metropolitan School of Art, and a depression in the building trade.
Of Margaret and James Pearse’s four children, Margaret Mary (b. 1877) was the eldest and Mary Bridget (b. 1883) was the youngest. Two older half-siblings from their father’s first marriage also lived in the family home in Patrick’s early years.
No. 27 Pearse Street now houses the Ireland Institute and the Pearse Centre.
In 1926, Great Brunswick Street was renamed Pearse Street after Patrick, and Queen Square became Pearse Square. Westland Row Station was renamed in 1966. The Irish version of the name, Stáisiún na bPiarsach, holds the clue that it is named after the Pearses (plural). A commemorative stone plaque on number 27 Pearse Street by sculptor Desmond Broe also honours both executed brothers, Patrick and Willie.
Sources: Wikipedia; The Ireland Institute: www.theirelandinstitute.com